Chemistry Tutoring for NCEA and Cambridge
Our chemistry tutors are all specialists in their fields. Many are continuing to study chemistry at university level, in various fields from chemical engineering to pharmacy. They’ve also been trained in methods designed specifically for tutoring chemistry for students of both NCEA and Cambridge.
These methods are supported by fantastic research, and include the following:
- Using quizzing effectively (to introduce topics and to review them)
- Asking deep explanatory questions
- Helping students to make connections between abstract ideas and concrete examples
- Helping students effectively manage their study time.
The Details: What our Chemistry Tutors Know
Chemistry is an advanced course, designed to give students a thorough understanding of the chemical world and a solid basis on which to build a scientific career if they choose to. The course covers the chemistry of molecules, organic matter (especially carbon), aqueous systems and processes of chemical reactivity. Our home tutors have all recently come through this curriculum in either NCEA or Cambridge, and are well-equipped in terms of general knowledge about each system and specific knowledge about the course content.
Meet some of our Chemistry tutors
- 5 years experience with teaching at St John Youth - Mentor for a 1st year law student through the Kensington Swan Mentoring Programme at UOA - 1 year weekly tutoring of a year 13 student through the MATES programme (2013) - Tutored through the Academic Council at my High School in Japanese and English - Peer support leader and buddy to students in Years 7-9
read more …
During my Cambridge A-Level classes, I used to volunteer to prepare slides for every week's revision class in Biology to try going over the past topics in a different way than the teacher's. This was done to ensure everyone understood the lectures and I was known for my passion for teaching so I was the one who used to get chosen for the volunteering tutoring role. The students were my friends so they'd not hesitate asking questions over and over again while I used to answer them patiently. This way I got to tutor, the lecturer was assured we understood and the students actually understood as they were willing to pay more attention.
read more …
-University of Auckland Scholarship -University of Otago Academic Excellence Scholarship (Offered) -University of Auckland Summer Research Scholarship -Rangitoto College Proxime Accessit -NCEA Level 1-3 with excellence -NCEA Level 2-3 Biology, Chemistry and Physics with excellence -NCEA Biology, Physics and Statistics Scholarship -1st in age group for 2013 North Shore Marathon -Top 100 for 2015 Auckland Half Marathon -Rangitoto College past concertmaster -Past player in New Zealand Secondary Schools Symphony Orchestra -Current 1st violin in Auckland Youth Orchestra
read more …